Monday, April 15, 2013

Heartbreak

I have been at a loss of words for a better part of the day.

Initially it was amazement of the elite runners. Women and Men alike. It takes training, not only physical but mental, to run 26.2 miles like those runners run. I was in awe watching them run like I feel is a sprint for me. And they did that for 2+ hours non-stop.

And then around 3pm, I was at a loss of words as to what I was hearing. Explosion. And it wasn't the kind of running explosion. It was a blast. Bomb. At the finish line. I saw the images. I saw the smoke. I felt fear. What was going on? What was happening? Why would this happen?

My thoughts turned to all those still running. Some were to finish around 5-6pm. Some were crossing, or nearing the finish line when those blasts hit. My thoughts turned to those that were right there. Are they injured? Is anyone hurt?

My heart breaks. These are my friends, if only by default and spirit. My friends were running that marathon today. Some who worked so hard to qualify. Some who were running for a great charity. Some who were running because they love running. These runners, my friends, are amazing. My heart breaks for each and every one of them.

I have a half in 18 days and counting. I got my post card confirmation in the mail for this race, today. Today of all days. I will remember that as I run those 13.1 miles.

My stepmom, Deb, would have been there today. She was injured last year and couldn't qualify. She would have been finishing about that time. My dad would have been there as well cheering her on right at the finish line. Today could have been so drastically different for me.

So tonight I ran. I walked. I cherished my running friends. I embraced what all those people in Boston did today and it ended so tragically for many of them. And I hope whoever did this realizes they better RUN FOR THEIR LIVES!

So hug your runner. Hug yourself. Hug your family. Here's my ((( hug ))) to you.

Run. Strong. Pray.
-t-





No comments:

Post a Comment