Wednesday, October 29, 2014

Akron 13.1 - Recap

So, Akron Marathon was almost a full 4 4.5 weeks ago!  I'm slacking! I have written this post 4x...in my head...each time getting a little shorter until now...and I'd like to think it's going to be short and sweet...

As you know, I registered for this half, my favorite race, last year. I was injured 12 weeks prior to race day. Stress fracture. But I was still going. Just not running. But don't think that I didn't have thoughts of actually just doing it. Or trying to do it. So much so that I had to call Training Planner to have her talk me off the ledge of packing my running gear that I would need to run the race. Tears. Big crocodile tears. She talked me down. Reminded me of my goals (SpaceCoast). Told me to not even pack it. So I didn't.  No regrets.

L-R: QuietOne, K2, SpeeDee, Boss Lady, me!
Friday morning Boss Lady (Amy), SpeeDee (Deanna), K2 (Karine), and QuietOne (Beth) (now all to be known as "the girls") all convened at my house for the 3 hour drive to Akron, Ohio. Rubber City. Home of LeBron James. My roots.  I would chauffeur this group for 36 hours. I was to be their tour guide, race prepper, food-finder, shopper, cheerleader, and best of all PHOTOGRAPHER!

And photographer I was!  Check out these EXPO pics....



As you can see...lots of photo ops!


SpeeDee ran for me!

After the Expo, we wanted to get a drink and small snack before we headed to the hotel, so we stopped at this cute little place across from the Expo because they had a rooftop deck! I failed to take a picture, but I did get a pic of our drinks!
  

On the way back to the hotel, we needed to make a quick pitstop at my dad's for MarathonMom's (Deb) camera. And I wanted to brag on them by showing off their medals...

some of dad's medals

some of MarathonMom's medals
Admiring MarathonMom's Boston Marathon poster

And then we headed to the hotel after to check in and unwind for a minute. Then back out to get some grub! Panera for SpeeDee and QuietOne (and me); Outback for Boss Lady and K2! And a little shopping at Marshalls...more on that later!

Once back at the hotel and dinner complete, we settled in and I watched the girls get ready for their big debut on on the Blue Line. 
 
QuietOne reviewing race day clothing selection!

Race morning was here before we knew it!  Everyone was up and dressed. Meeting in the lobby. Looking for a toaster. Getting coffee. Bananas. In car and headed to dad's!  Traffic was out of control! Opening the Marathon Relay to more runners allowed for lots more cars. I wish I had gotten a picture of the traffic! SpeeDee and I both commented that the traffic was worse this year!  But dad and MarathonMom knew exactly how to avoid it! 

On the walk to the start line, of course there was talk of what SpeeDee and I have named "Poop Alley", so of course, we shared this information with the rest of the crew. And lo' and behold, as soon as we approached it, they understood without further mention and a posed picture was in order:

Who smiles while grunting? THESE GIRLS! Too funny!
Soon it was time for the group pics... and then off to the races!
Love my girls!

MarathonMom and Dad
I just love the smile on my dad's face!

Then I was racing, literally, for my spot to see them at the START, Mile 3 and Mile almost 10! What. A. Crowd. Sidewalks were blocked. Volunteers wouldn't let me cross. Thankfully, I had my bib pinned on, so I jumped in Corral A on one side and out the other! Race to meet my mom and Terry and get ready to snap! 

And those pictures will be in another post... Which I SWEAR I am going to write and soon as this one is published!

Stay tuned!

Run.Strong.
-t-




1 comment: