Wednesday, October 29, 2014

Akron 13.1 - Recap - Part 2!

As promised...
Watching a Marathon, or any race for that matter, is humbling to say the least. You see a race in a whole new perspective. It is motivating. Encouraging. Inspiring. Amazing.  I teared up at the start. Seeing the first runners come down that hill. Seeing the elite runners pass by. The wheelchair racers. My friends. My family. People of all sizes and shapes. The pacers. Some running a short 4 miles (relay), some running 13.1, and those running 26 point freaking 2 miles. Watching them all pass by knowing that some are running a 5/min mile, some running a 12:30/min mile, and some walking. But seeing, and knowing, that they are out there, moving, taking each step with drive, for a cause or just because, made me smile. Smile so big I would tear up!
 
 
 




Boss Lady rockin' it with the pacers!


K2 and QuietOne smiling at mile 3!
MarathonMom at mile 8




SpeeDee at mile 8
Dad at mile 8! Trying to tell sis about his keys!

At mile 8, my sister and niece had these signs!  Love my family's support!
 




After they passed me at almost Mile 10, I hightailed it to the finish line! It was about a 6 block walk but the streets were still packed with spectators and people cheering! IT WAS SO COOL!!  I had already scoped out how to get into the "Finishers Field" so I hoped that by flashing my bib I would get in with no problem! And I did! SCORE!  Now to race to the finish line area to wait for the girls and my dad to cross! The text updates on my phone were keeping me in the loop of where they were but I wasn't sure how off the timing was...until I got the text that Boss Lady had finished and I totally MISSED IT!  And then SpeeDee's came and I missed hers too. Damnit.  Okay. 3 more to wait for. Eyes peeled...

Then I see K2....




 And then QuietOne finishes...


I connect the girls and make sure they are in a central location and that they are all okay and I'm back to the finish line to wait on my dad.

The time was passing for his estimated finish...and I am starting to panic....and then I see him...


And I start to cry and get excited at the same time. I tell the people next to me "That's my dad! My dad is finishing!"
He looked so tired. I wanted to jump across the barrier and run in with him. I wanted to cross that line with him. Hand in hand. Father and Daughter. Next year I tell myself!
 And tears are streaming! He did it! He did it!!! 


I still get teary-eyed looking at this picture!

While waiting on the girls and my dad to finish, I did get to see some pretty cool runners finish. Finish the MARATHON that is.






After I got dad settled, I went back to await MarathonMom's big finish. She was due any minute!
 She was still smiling so I knew things were good!

 But it was this moment that made me the happiest.

And taking this picture... Two people in my life that I look up to for their strength and perseverance....looking up to me as I would later be thanked for getting them thru the end of the race and just being there to get them everything they needed without having to think about it.





Being there for these 6 individuals is the best thing I have ever done. They have supported me in all my races. Been at the start line with me and watched me finish in the end. It was such an honor to take them to my hometown race, to see them start, see them run, and most importantly, see them FINISH. See. Them. Finish. That is something I don't get to do under "normal" circumstances.



 
The blue line this year didn't get run by me and my two feet.
It was run with my heart and soul. My thoughts, prayers and eyes for 13.1 miles and 26.2 miles. I may not have "Conquered the Blue Line" by physically running, but I conquered it by running with my heart and soul and will not let one injury define my ability to conquer it in the future!
I had the time of my life at the blue line this year. It was truly an honor to be a part of this experience with them. And while some of them may have ran it before, the excitement of them doing it again was all the better!

Next year, I will be there. And I WILL CONQUER THE BLUE LINE.

 
Run. Strong.
-t- 








1 comment: