Sunday, April 1, 2012

And I am back at it!

WITH A VENGEANCE!

I participated in the No Buts About It 5k Run/Walk yesterday (Saturday). First race in 3 weeks, actually, first real RUN in 3 weeks too. Geared up with new/old shoes (the Asics!), a new sports bra, my SLAM, SPARK, O2 Gold, my BFFAE Jen and I was Born to Run! (insert song here). Had my morning talk with my dad while picking Jen up to find out that they were not running that day (injuries) and that Jen and I would have to carry them on this race.

So the race starts. I feel great. iPod is torquing me off of course...guess it was mad at me for not using it in a while...Whatever.

So Jen and I are running together! I cannot even begin to express the excitement about this! She got me into the running, especially the 5k's. But we have never ran a race together. We have started together, but she runs faster, steadier. I am not fast, nor steady. But on this particular Saturday 5k, I asked if we were doing this together and staying together. And she nodded in earnest. I was THRILLED! So, we are progressing thru. First mile done. She looks at me and asks if I am okay, is my foot okay, do I want to walk. YUP! YUP! NOPE! Let's keep running! And we do. We did stop and walk a little. I was then asking if she was okay (thinking back to the Harrigan's run...). She nods. We start running again.

And then after we turn this corner, almost 1/2 way thru it, I get this ridiculous bout of energy and craziness and start running like the po-po are chasing me (no, I don't know what that's really like, only what I have seen and heard!) My speed kicked up. And I mean KICKED UP! That was cool. The adrenaline was amazing. And then I remembered, JEN!!!!!!!! So I slowed down until she caught up. All good.

We walk a little more. We run more! She's a little ahead of me, maybe 3 paces, I could still reach out and touch her if I had to. I nod for her to go ahead...she slows down for me to catch up. I do. We can see the finish line. Our pace picks up. I think we are racing. Who is gonna cross the finish line first? Noooooo, we cross it TOGETHER! Stomping. On. Every. Single. Mat. Together. Somehow she still beat me by 1 sec. Whatever. I will get her back next time! HEHEHEHE!

24
Jennifer Corwin
Vandalia
608
39
283
41:35.2
42:02.9
13:25/M


25
Tami Henderson
Vandalia
213
37
285
41:36.8
42:03.0
13:25/M

So riddle me this....
My pace stayed the same (13:25/M), but my time was more than a minute longer than my previous race (41:35.8 vs 40:12.5). 

ARGH! I mean, really though, I can't complain toooo terribly much...I was not training AT ALL for the last 3 weeks...I did 1 Boot Camp class and one 2.6 mile run...saw the AMAZING Dr. Prikkel for some adjustments and therapy for my PF. So, I guess I can handle the time, my pace didn't get decrease... :-)

So, post race...no illness (ahem, Jen). My foot wasn't shooting with pain! However, the day was not completely pain-free :-(   But I iced, rolled my golf ball, put my boots on for a good hour, iced and rolled some more, boots some more. And continue that today. But that's okay. It's a work in progress.

However, the thought did cross my mind as to what I am going to feel like after 13.1 miles...and that thought is plaguing me right now...

 

1 comment: