Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Sunday's run/walk and a little more...

Sunday Jen and I, along with Shelly the Swedish Trainer (Inge) started out on the 10 mile run/walk thru the "east" side of Vandalia. It was cold. Very cold. But the sun was coming out and the wind wasn't too terrible. I was with my BFFAE and my Swedish Trainer. Life is good.

We started with a mile walk warm-up that crossed us to E. Alkaline Springs, just past the high school and that's where the run began. All the way to Spartan. It was more than a mile. (Oh and I might add, there was no way we were walking across the 75 bridge...holy scariness. We threw on the head phones and ran!!!!!!!! )  We had never walked this way (and that term is used loosely). It was really neat. The houses are not the typical ranch that Jen and I are used to seeing on the "west" side of Vandalia. They are these cute bungalows! I love these houses! Reminds me of my Grandma Mac's house when I was growing up...such fond memories.  Anyhow. Continued around to Spartan where I had strategically planned a water stop at our friend Beth's house...I texted her the night before and asked if she could leave 3 water bottles outside for us as we would be running her way the next morning and would be in need of water. And low and behold, THERE IT WAS! Time to stop and drink a little.  They were BIG water bottles too. She totally came through! These weren't the Kroger water bottles that I had expected. These were the BIG water bottles with the squirt cap and all! She is the best!  And this is where we get lost...

I am not too familiar with this side of town...I can get to 2 houses...Beth's and Coach O'Cull's. That's it. I wish I knew more people over there. It is so quiet and peaceful. And woodsy. And pretty. And tree-lined streets. And rolling hills.  Well, kinda rolling hills. It's boring on the west side. Enough said.

We gazed at yards with landscaping that was to die for! Houses that were for sale, and sadly some that were most likely in foreclosure. I was just looking at real estate the other day at houses that were for sale. See, aside from running a half, another "bucket list" dream is to flip houses. But I digress.

I knew the names of the streets that we were supposed to follow according to my MapMyRun map that I had planned the week before, but I forgot to write down which way we were supposed to turn. So we walked and gazed. And somehow ended up where we were supposed to. Brown School Road. Right. By. Bunkers. Yum. Cross National. Boo.  

 But this kinda where it got fun! We ran past the POOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH......
It was empty. The chairs are piled up. The umbrellas aren't ready. 

Turning the bend and heading back up Wollenhaupt, I think, we hear a BEEP BEEP....guess who that is out stalking us...KELLY (and Chloe the dog)!!!!!!!!!!!  Thank goodness too cause all 3 of us needed a tissue!  That was too stinking funny! She talked us thru this last bit and turned off to head back home. Her kids thought she was ridiculous for stalking us. We thought it was perfect! 

Back down Brown School to National. Bunkers. Yum. No cash. No credit card. Next time. We. Stop. And eat. Bunkers.YUM.

So back down National Road. Just past Awful Waffle, I get this RIDICULOUS BOUT OF ENERGY! The GU CHOMPS must have kicked in (by the way...those are awesome!). I look at Inge and Jen and say, "I gotta run. I just gotta run. I can feel it. I gotta run." Shelly takes my water bottle and I go. My thoughts are just running wild with me. I am a bird. I am soaring. I am like the wind in an open field. I am just gliding. WOW! The energy.  The adrenaline. WOW! I don't have to stop for lights or cars....the traffic gods are with me! I get to just past the old Morton and I just stop. Now I am pissed at myself. There is a slight incline. But I stopped.  I think Jen and Inge are happy about that too. LOL!

And we continue our way back home. Inge (Shelly) heads down Helke to her home, Jen and I head back to our homes. Nice run. But tired. And sore. The time sucked. That's okay. We did it. We got out there on a cold, wet, Sunday morning, and did it. 

I think time will be better on race day. We will be in a "compete" mode. Although we are only competing with our egos as we are just setting the goal of completion before they close the route! LOL! No, seriously, I really want to complete the 1/2 in under 3:15. There I said. Now it's out there. Crap.

The rest of Sunday was a semi-lazy day. I had to go to the grocery. Put some more mulch somewhere else in my yard (this stuff is NEVER-ENDING!). Pick up around the house. Take a nap. Yep. You got that. Put on my fancy boots and laid down for a short nap. It felt so good. I just needed a rest. 

2 Days. 13 miles. 6:30am wake both days. I. Was. Exhausted. 

I rested Monday (baseball practice at the batting cages). I am resting tonight (Tuesday). But only because I am attending the VBCSD Board Meeting to find out what is going on in our schools. Wednesday, I will hit the pavement (or dreadmill, it's supposed to rain :-( ). One more long run Saturday morning (maybe 8...). But I need to log some more mile this week. I was rather impressed with what I did last week!

Only 10 days, and counting, till the half...

No comments:

Post a Comment