Thursday, July 25, 2013

First time for everything!

3rd Place in 43:43
For the first time in my running "career" I placed in my age group! 3rd Place! And yes, there were MORE than 3 runners in my age group! (believe me, I checked!)

Oh the race...
 3rd Annual Bec's Bunch Remembrance 5k Run/Walk
 July 13, 2013

I was not super stoked about the time. It was definitely not my best, but it wasn't my worst either. My allergies had been kicking my butt that week and every run was difficult. And it was humid.  But I am not even going to let the weather play a role because I have ran in worse conditions

Training Planner and her ROCKSTAR smile!
That race was special in many ways. First, it was the first race I would be doing with Boss Lady and Training Planner. I was excited to see them! I was hoping to keep up with Boss Lady since she was about 9 weeks post baby but she's been working hard at her comeback and comeback she did! She placed 1st in her age group with a finish time of 28:24! Training Planner was very encouraging and excited! She "tweaked" my plan from last year and she knows I can do it! Even on my worst complaining days, she reinforces in me that I can do this. And if I feel like I failed, as I did after this race, she will go thru the events, step by step, and help me figure out what went wrong and how to improve. And that is exactly what she did! AND! She took 1st in her age group with a finish time of 24:17! 
Pam Drewry (r) and her lovely friends!

About 1/2 way thru the rec center route, a fellow runner came running up next to me and said "come on, keep going!" I was walking at this point and ready to pull my shirt off and blow my nose. Gross right?! Allergies in full arrest. I looked at her, and said, "you're right. Let's go." She then recalled that I ran with her last year and got her thru this exact same race last year.  And then I remembered. I did. She reminded me I said I wanted to finish under 40 minutes. And I did. With her by my side. She had on a "Bec's Card Bunch" t-shirt, with a picture on it of what I am guessing is Rebecca Pelfrey, the namesake of this race, and some other women. She was incredibly inspiring. And it really motivated me. I kept running. And then I would walk. But only when she was walking. She got ahead of me, but was always in my sights...guiding me.

So, imagine my surprise after the race when I place in my age group and see her on the side and run over to give her a hug and tell her thank you. Because honestly, I didn't think I was going to make it until she came up next to me.  And then, she places! 1st in her age group with a finish time of 43:01!!! So, I got a picture of her with her friends! It was a pretty special moment.

Rocked the race in 31:01!
Kelly also ran this race, with her youngest son JP! And they both placed in their age groups too! Kelly placed 3rd in her age group, finishing in 36:29 and JP finished in 2nd place with a finishing time of 31:01!


Aly, Me, and the twins!
This was also my dear friend Aly and her mom's 2nd 5k in a week and ever! They pushed Aly's twins in the jogging stroller at the Vandalia Freedom Run 5k the week before and I somehow managed to talk them into doing this one too! Her mom placed 2nd in her age group finishing in 48:49! They both improved their time from the week before by minutes! They were quite excited about running more this race than the week before! Pretty ahhhhhmazing!

So while this race may not have been a perfect time, it was a perfect race with lots of firsts...and I don't just mean 1st place!


Run . Strong.
-t-


A little more about the Race itself...

This event is being held in memory of Rebecca
Pelfrey, a true warrior in the battle against breast
cancer. She also truly loved kids and education.
Therefore, race proceeds will be donated to
Susan G. Komen for the Cure, The American
Cancer Society, The Pink Ribbon Girls to fight
breast cancer, and to the Rebecca Pelfrey Fund to
provide scholarships to students.

More information can be found on their FaceBook page: 





2 comments:

  1. This Blog post made me smile! So love doing races with you. Much more fun than Farrell.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What?! Farrell isn't fun?! Noooooo, I don't believe it!
      Stay tuned for that post this weekend!

      Delete