Wednesday, August 13, 2014

A few days later...

I was back to the ahhhhhmazing Dr. Pat today for a follow-up with this stress fractured foot of mine. I armed myself with a notebook of questions as I wanted to make sure I got as much information as I could about what a stress fracture is, how long is my recovery, what can, and can't, I do as far as walking and so on...


Questions asked and answered. Some tears shed (he doesn't like crying I found out). A little light (a red light at that) therapy. Nice little foot massage (okay, more like a push/rub/poke/scrape massage, but nonetheless felt good).  Another appointment made in 10 days. 

And how do I feel?
Better. Especially since I was able to lay on the roller table and roll out my back. This boot really makes one walk funny and throws out the hips. I've been aching since last week! 

But more importantly hearing that I may, and a heavy emphasis on may, be able to start running lightly, and by that I mean like walk 4 minutes, run 1 minute, maybe at the end of August.  Is Akron completely out? Maybe not.  But am I going to chance it if it means I could re-injure and not be able to run Space Coast at Thanksgiving?? No. I won't. If I do not have his 100% confidence that I am good, to even walk and run it (with more walk than run), then I won't.  I just won't do it. 

I am permitted to go back to my total body class with the understanding that I am to put no pressure on my foot. So I'm trying to figure out if that would be worth it right now... It's a tough call. Little is better than none, right?  I have still been doing my weights and abs at home in the morning. 

On another front, the boy turned 14 this week! He also had freshman orientation today! 

And got his HS football jersey! STUD!

I talked to my dad tonight and filled him in on what Doc said and he said that it's not worth the re-injury at Akron for Space Coast. He will do another half. So while I'm not saying I will do it, I'm not saying I won't. It's a "wait and see". Either way, I will be there. Either running with them, or cheering them on!  

Oh, and I shall not forget to mention the jesting I have received from my near and dear friends... Oh it's been fun. And I have laughed. A lot. And they continue to park in parking spots so far out you'd think it was Black Friday. But they've succeeded in making me feel "normal".  And I figure I can milk it for one more week and get a scooter to grocery shop! 

Training Lady and her youngest daughter brought me a little pick me up on Saturday. It was such a treat and Reese's card brought the biggest smile to my face! 

The boot may be ugly, but I've got pretty toes! 

Thank you to EVERYONE for the encouraging words on the last post, the texts, and phone calls. It really meant a lot to me and helped me gain perspective of it all. 
 
So keep running friends. I will be back soon enough to join you!

Run. Strong. 
-t-

No comments:

Post a Comment