Tuesday, August 26, 2014

So it goes...

I was back to see Dr. Pat on Friday. It was a rainy day. Very. Rainy. I took the morning off. I just couldn't handle all the emotions and the feeling of shedding a tear at the slightest thing. PMS? Lack of release of endorphins? Baby boy in HS? Who knows. Probably a combo of it all.

So. Dr. Pat. More light therapy and some ultra sound therapy. Massage/rub/press on my foot. I did not kick him in the face as I almost have the past visits, so that was a WIN. It didn't hurt. Does that mean I am healed???? I don't think so...and I don't think he thinks so either. The swelling is down. But I still have this occasional pain which I can describe as a cramp, but my hesitation in even telling him about it, tells me that the pain isn't a cramp but pain. When they say to listen to your body, listen to your head to. It is usually right. Ugh.

Remember my last post about just wanting to wear matching shoes? 
He asked "what shoes?"  I know he was thinking "she wants to wear her flip flops!" But I didn't; I looked him dead in the eye and said, "my running shoes. Or put my other foot in a boot too cause I am done with this hobbling effect".  "Try it. See how it feels." "Deal. And if doesn't feel good, I will put the boot back on. Promise." "Okay."
So I did. And I went to work. And I would get up to go to the printer, or the bathroom, or the kitchen to get some water. And it was different. Not wearing shoes for 2 weeks on BOTH feet and then wearing them for the first time is, well, difficult. I was still hobbling. I was scared. Truth be told. Scared. Scared I was doing more harm than good. And for what? My mood? My sanity?  I kept it on. I was very careful. I walked very gingerly.  I knew I would be at Nate's football game that night and would most likely be sitting for a good part so keeping the shoes on wouldn't be a big deal. Wrong. I had to take the shoe off as it felt as though my foot was swelling. It wasn't. I still took it off. And when I got back out to the car, I put the boot on and felt better. I. Am. Crazy. 

I wore the boot all weekend too (except when I mowed the grass (SHAME!) and Nate and I had our pictures taken up in Tipp). And I am still wearing the boot today.  And that is okay. It feels better. It's still annoying. But I know I am doing the right thing by wearing it. My foot needs to heal. It HAS to heal. I have 2 BondiBand expos in September. I will be on my feet for long periods of time. 

I know I am not running, or even walking Akron. I'm getting closer to coming to terms with that. It's hard. 

In the meantime, I have some exercises to do... 

a little of this...
Toe grabbing a towel
....some of this crazy stuff...
Toe separators to stretch the metatarsals 
...stretch the calves...
Slant board. And squatting too!
...and of course...
ICE IT! ELEVATE IT!
...and keep looking like this...

It is what it is. I go back after Labor Day. 

Run. Strong. Match or not.
-t-

No comments:

Post a Comment