Friday, August 8, 2014

Part 2: The Results

Guess which part of this picture I am NOT happy about...

It surely isn't the tasty mojito...or the pretty little fire...

Yep, it's the black walking sandal that will be on my foot for 4-6 weeks, but closer to 6 weeks. If not longer. 

The dreaded call came about 1:30 this afternoon. 
Stress fracture thru on the 3rd metatarsal. Another one beginning on the 4th.  And a small one on the 2nd. Or something like that.  I go see Dr. Pat and Dr. Kacey on Wednesday. For some light therapy and a better understanding of why this happened and how I am going to recover. 

Instructions until then: Stay off it. No running. Wear the walking sandal all the time. Ice. Rest. See Drs mid-week. 

I text Speedy-Feet Dee (she's just down the hall in my office). Cry.  I text Boss Lady and Training Lady. Cry. I email BFFAE and Aly. Cry. Text Cristen and Kelly. Cry. Sister and mom. Cry more. And finally get the gumption to text my dad and wonder-woman Deb. And really break down. I'm so devastated. I'm ashamed. I'm mad. 

I have to call Dr. Pat again because I'm not quite sure what I am allowed to do. Can I walk on it? Yes, but only if I have to. Can I mow the grass? No, you really shouldn't do anything strenuous on it. I'm a single mom, I have to go to the grocery store. Can I not grocery shop? If you absolutely have to, but ice it when you get home. And I start crying again. 

Leave work at 4. Get in car and start crying again. Seriously. Drive home, crying and hitting the steering wheel. 

And then it occurs to me, I have friend a that is battling cancer. I have a friend that is having seizures for no reason. I have a friend who lost her healthy and fit  husband at 38 last week. I have friends with much worse problems than this silly stress fracture. And yet I am sitting here crying like it's the worse thing EVER. But to me, in this moment, right here, right now, it is. 

I'm not going to be able to run Akron with my dad. 

There. I said it. 

I am trying to find the silver lining in this... maybe it's prempting something worse that could have happened....maybe I need a break from the "rat race" I put myself thru every summer....maybe... Maybe I should be happy that it wasn't before Myrtle Beach or Mexico...maybe I should be glad it isn't my driving foot...maybe I should be glad it's just a stress fracture and not something much worse. 

I will do everything the doctors tell me to do. And then probably some. 

I just can't get unfit. I will do more crunches and arm exercises. I will do leg lifts on the floor. I will do every exercise known to man that doesn't involve me using my feet?! Is that possible? We shall find out. 

I just won't be running Akron. I have to get this better. I have too much money wrapped up in Space Coast Half Marathon in Florida at Thanksgiving. I guess that's another silver lining...I won't be burnt out at the end of September to keep training until November. 

I welcome any suggestions you may have on how to cope with this. Or if you think of another silver lining. Or if you want to use my Akron bib and get me a STELLAR time, or just to run with my dad. Let me know. 

I will fill ya in on Wednesday's appt in Part 3 next week. 

Until then...
Run. Strong. For t. 
-t-



No comments:

Post a Comment