Wednesday, August 6, 2014

Here's the deal (part one)

Ever since I got back from Mexico at the beginning of July, I have had this shooting pain on my left foot. The top to be exact. And noticed some swelling and slight discoloration. So I attributed it to a bruise. Maybe too much beach walking? Maybe I dropped something on it, you know like something from the freezer? Maybe it's just a cramp that WON'T. GO. AWAY.  

After a week of this pain, in which I mentioned to Training Lady, I went to see Dr. Pat. The ahhhhhhmazing Dr. Pat   He did some sonar/heat treatment on it. Manipulated it. "Scraped" the metatarsals with that mean tool. Adjusted my hips/back. And told me to rest it, ice it, stretch it, and come back on Friday. What?! No running? I have 6 miles to do! I'm about to start training. I can't let my miles become null NOW!  But fine. So I did. And it felt better. Friday I went back. Some more heat/sonar/manipulations/scraping and was told I could run on Saturday to see how it felt but only do 4 miles. Come back next week but see Dr. Herman as he was leaving on vacation. What?! He can't leave I'm hurting!  He left. 

I ran 3 the next day. It was good. I was more focused on my sock on my right foot. The only reason I did 3 was because I was SERIOUSLY short on time.  But the 3 was ran very consistently and it felt good. And my foot felt fine the next day and so on. 

So I went and saw Dr. Herman the following Friday. More sonar/heat. More scraping. More manipulations. I told her about my miles and how it was good all week. A little pain but not terrible. She said to continue what I was doing (ice/stretch) and come back next week.   

So I did. And it was fine. But I knew I should not still be having any amount of pain and I knew I shouldn't still see swelling. And I knew I shouldn't still see discoloration. And she knew all this too. It was time for imaging. The dreaded confirmation of what I've been thinking and reading and hearing for the last 2 weeks....possible stress fracture.  

[COMMENCE CRYING]. 
Think to self "Akron 1/2 is 8 weeks out. I'm supposed to be running it with my dad for his FIRST 1/2! Running it at a 11 minute mile pace. Finishing in 2:45 MAX.  HUGE PR.  I can't tell my dad. I fear disappointing him more than I fear the stress fracture. I want nothing more than this race with him."

Being the stubborn runner I am, I told her that I was running 8 this weekend (last weekend)  and wouldn't stop running until I got the results of the MRI. She is really so nice. She just shook her head. I'm sure she noted in my file that Dr. Pat can KEEP ME! (wink!)

And so it went. I ran my 8. It didn't really hurt, per se until about 3.5 so I turned around (out and back route) and said that if it felt okay at 7 (cause I had to get back to my car) then I would get the other mile in on the other part of the path. And I did. Up a hill nonetheless! 

I iced it back at the campground a couple of times the rest of the day. And Sunday afternoon. And Sunday night. And Monday at work. And Monday night.  And didn't run Tuesday because I woke up with it throbbing at 430am. So I made the appt for the MRI for Wednesday afternoon. 

Lo and behold I woke up Wednesday with very little pain. Swelling had decreased.  But I wasn't canceling. Speedy-Feet pointed out that "I had rested it the last 4 days. Of course it is going to feel better!"  But better is not GREAT!

So here I sit with my foot in the MRI machine waiting for this scan to be over. Waiting to find out what the rest of my training for Akron will look like....


Dad knows. Dad was very supportive. Very encouraging. Said "Tami, 2:30 is very optimistic. I would be happy to finish in 3.  If you do have a stress fracture then we will do what we can do. My knee could act up in the next 8 weeks and I have to get a shot. Anything could happen. But no matter what, we will cross that finish line together. Hand in hand. And that is all that matters."  The conversation went on about all the injuries wonder-woman Deb has endured in her running lifetime...Coming back from a neck injury 2 years ago, 10 or so weeks out from Akron Marathon and completing it.  

People have injuries all the time. But this was going to be my year for this race!  And it still could be I guess. Just need to wait for the results. And if the outcome is a stress fracture, then I will readjust the training and get myself physically ready somehow (bike, cross train) and cross that finish line with my dad.  And if it's something else, like a "tuma" (said in the best Arnold Schwartzenger voice) then we go from there. BUT if it's not anything but a bruise, then GAME ON! 

Trust me when I say, coming to this decision and mind set has not been an easy task. I have had tears sit on my eyes and I have let those tears fall with a sobbing effect. I have refused to admit defeat and have accepted that what is, is what is. 

This will not define me. It will make me stronger. 

So stay tuned for the MRI results... 

Run. Strong. 
-t- 

No comments:

Post a Comment