Friday, August 24, 2012

It's all about the new...and change

Bondi bands, running skirt, Garmin, new record in running. Yep, those are all new. 

Yesterday was an awesome day! I got my Garmin watch. I got my Bondi Bands. I got a running skirt on clearance for $1.70 ($12 with a $10 credit and 15% off). Katie ran 6 miles for the first time in a loooooooong time. And today Cristen ran her longest distance THUS FAR, 6 miles!  I'd say the last few days have been pretty awesome! 

My Garmin ROCKS! I love it! I bought this watch to check the distance. Turns out the distance was pretty accurate. It's the pace that is not. My app had a much better (faster) pace than the watch. But I am fairly confident that the Garmin pace is more accurate. I will keep testing this out. I will know better when I do speed work. 

And as for the change, well, 10 miles turned into 6; meeting time from 5:15 to 5:30; some people couldn't make it. But all in all, it was good. Different. Kinda cool.  

I realllly wanted the 10 miles today. Mostly because tomorrow Nate and I are going to Kings Island for the day and I will be on my feet all day long. I don't really want to run Sunday morning. So I had hoped to get the 10 LR in today. It didn't happen. We have kids. And jobs. And families. And life. And I need to realize that it happens. Life happens. Sometimes schedules change. Sometimes I have to roll with the changes. I learned that lesson today. And I fear that I hurt some of my friends feelings. And I am sorry for that. 

 
So I decided to embrace the 6 miles today. And I did. I had a great run. Sure. Some pinches of pain, twisting socks (yes, they were on the RIGHT feet), butt spasms. But nothing terribly bad that I just thought I couldn't push thru it. And once you do that, it's easy breezy. It feels good to just say, "I ran 6 miles and it wasn't really a training run. It was just a run." It reminded me that I love to run.
  


We started out the gate from the Rec Center with a phone call from my dad. MY DAD. It's o'dark thirty. Of course who else would be calling me that early. Fearful of something wrong, but refusing to stop running and actually pull the phone out of my arm band, I put it on speaker. You know what he wanted? He wanted to know how to spell ARROGANT. No, seriously. That is what he wanted. Why he needed that word at 530am I don't know yet. Why he called me, I'm still not sure, other than my 7th and 8th grade years in school, I was the school Spelling Bee Champ. Both years I made it to the District Spelling Bee. I couldn't tell you what words I missed. Perhaps Mrs. Nervo or Mrs. Faessel could? Regardless. Or maybe he was checking to see if I was actually up and running like it posted on my FaceBook. I think it's the latter. After I spelled it for him like 5 times and he spelled it back to me, he says, "Okay, enjoy your run. Thanks!" And I hear him laughing...hmmmmm, breathing check? How hard am I running? Well, dad, if you are reading this, and I am sure you are, we had just started the run. Thanks for the laugh this morning! The girls got a kick out of you calling me! XOXO.

Didn't see any raccoons this morning. However, did hear from a couple other runners they were running from skunks! Whew! I am always fearful of that!

We got back to the Rec Center at the end of the run, still feeling pretty awesome, but had about a 1/2 mile to go. So, we grabbed a quick drink, said goodbye to Boss Lady, Kelly, and Katie and started back out to finish it up to 6 miles. As Boss Lady was driving away, she said "it's addicting". I couldn't have agreed more! It felt awesome to get that last 1/2 mile in just so my watch would say 6 miles! LOVE IT! When Cristen and I were finished, we both felt that we could have gone farther. What a feeling! But we couldn't. Jobs were beckoning!

So tomorrow, Kings Island. Sunday, 10 miles with BFFAE. Easy Breezy.

And for the another piece of change... I found a penny on my run this morning. I am officially up $0.11! WOOHOO!


Have a great weekend!

Run. Strong.
-t-

1 comment:

  1. Love reading your blog Tami! Very inspiring and very cool! Maybe you should write a book...you're entertaining and funny!
    ~Nicole

    ReplyDelete